n.b. I'm working on migrating my notes from various lectures I attended through the years from FB onto my blog (5 of 5).
1. We can't sympathize with a character unless we know about his/her life.
4. Allow your personality to be conveyed on the page.
5. The path for truth runs through shame--stories that are good are only good because they're dark with our freakish secrets.
6. Excessive emotional involment is the whole point.
7. Overexposure is essential--write about the darkest most shameful stuff.
10. Love is paying attention--paying attention to people, to things, especially when you'd rather turn away.
12. Writing is a moral act--you are trying to get the reader to feel more than he/she was feeling before.
14. Everyone, even Paris Hilton, has a rich and tortured internal life.